In this article, we will discuss how to enable/display line numbers in Eclipse IDE for any files like .java, .xml or .jsp
Why it is needed?
- Whenever, any exception or errors are thrown while executing Java program, then server console prints exception/error stack-trace along with its location i.e.; line number
- To fix this, we need to search using line number
- Note: by default Eclipse IDE doesn’t comes with line numbers enabled
- So, we need to explicitly enable this using 2 options
Enable Line Numbers using 2 options:
- Using Menu option in Eclipse IDE
- By right-clicking mouse and enabling line numbers (CTRL + F10)
Option 1: Enable using Menu option
Eclipse IDE –> Windows –> Preferences –> General –> Editors –> Text Editors –> check line number (option)
Option 2: Right-click –> enable line numbers
Alternatively, we can enable by right-clicking mouse and selecting the option “show line numbers”
Instead of right-clicking, we can also use short-cut keys supported in Eclipse IDE. Like, for enabling line numbers press CTRL + F10 simultaneously and check the option “show line numbers”
Happy Coding !!
Happy Learning !!